Introduction to Sewing
The first step into the amazing world of sewing! Learn how to use a machine and work through 3 satisfying usable projects.
We will cover the following:
- Getting to grips with the sewing machine.
- How seam allowances work and why we use them.
- Working with a paper pattern and understanding its notations.
- Pairing fabrics to patterns.
- Measuring and cutting out correctly.
- Working with leather handles and metal hardware.
- Sewing mitred corners.
- Suitable seam finishes for different fabrics.
Over the course you will make these 3 projects:
- Orton Bag
- Large Throw
What is included in your class:
- A printed copy of the Costermonger pattern, the other two projects are a series of measurements which you will mark directly on your fabric.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric is not included in this class. We advise you just select the fabric for the Orton Bag first and then buy the rest of the fabric as you go along. The Orton Bag was designed to be made in a slouchy linen, but you can also use something heavier weight for a different look.
If you want to select your fabric on the day of your course, please come approximately 20-30mins early to give you enough time to select something.
75cm's of 143cm wide fabric.
0.7m's of 150cm wide fabric.8 x 9mm rivets or chicago screws. 4 x 25mm/1″ metal sliders. 2 x 25mm/1″ leather strap 89cm long (if you are buying our leather straps they come about 145cm long so you will need two of these)
Top fabric 120cm
Backing fabric 140cm
OUT OF STOCK
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.