Introduction to Sewing – Orton Bag
Level – Beginner.
The first step into the amazing world of sewing! Learn how to use a machine and make the Orton bag.
This course is aimed at complete beginners, or people that haven’t touched a machine in a good while or those who’d just love to make their own Orton bag.
We will cover the following:
- Getting to grips with the sewing machine, how to thread and find your way around all the nuts and bolts.
- How seam allowances work and why we use them.
- Using a paper pattern.
- How to finish your seams correctly.
- Pairing fabrics to projects for a successful outcome by looking at several fabric options for both projects.
- Measuring and cutting out correctly.
- Working with leather handles and metal hardware (if you decide to use leather handles for your Orton bag)
- Sewing mitered corners.
What is included in your class:
- Orton bag paper pattern.
- Fabric of your choice – see fabric requirements
- Leather handles if you choose this option.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop from time of booking until your class finishes.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Dry oilskin and linen are ideal for this bag, but you can also use a cotton canvas or denim.
We strongly suggest that you choose a plain fabric as the pattern matching required for checks and stripes can take a long time to do and can impact on completing the projects within the time allocated.
The Orton Bag was designed to be made in a slouchy linen, but you can also use something heavier weight for a different look. Our samples from the gallery
Tartan Orton Bag - Blackwatch Dry Oilskin
Tan Orton Bag - Expedition Dry Oilskin
Acid Yellow Orton Bag - Sulphur linen
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.
10% discount can not be used for purchases of future classes.