Introduction to Sewing – Orton Bag
Level – Beginner.
The first step into the amazing world of sewing! Learn how to use a machine and make the Orton bag.
This course is aimed at complete beginners, or people that haven’t touched a machine in a good while.
We will cover the following:
- Getting to grips with the sewing machine, how to thread and find your way around all the nuts and bolts.
- How seam allowances work and why we use them.
- Using a paper pattern.
- How to finish your seams correctly.
- Pairing fabrics to projects for a successful outcome by looking at several fabric options for both projects.
- Measuring and cutting out correctly.
- Working with leather handles and metal hardware (if you decide to use leather handles for your Orton bag)
- Sewing mitered corners.
What is included in your class:
- Orton bag paper pattern.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Because of our vast range of fabrics, we have decided not to include fabric for this class.We encourage you to come 20 mins earlier to browse the range and select something.
The Orton Bag was designed to be made in a slouchy linen, but you can also use something heavier weight for a different look. Our samples from the gallery -
Tartan Orton Bag - Blackwatch Dry Oilskin
Tan Orton Bag - Expedition Dry Oilskin
Acid Yellow Orton Bag - Sulphur linen
75cm's of 143cm wide fabric.
You can either fabric the handles with the same fabric or use leather and rivets.
1 x 3/4 inch leather strap
8 x rivets
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.