Make the Jack Tar
Level – Advanced Beginner
This copious bucket bag has space for an almost infinite amount of stuff. Make it in traditional British oilskin, sturdy canvas, cotton drill or denim. Fully lined with 3 divided internal pockets. The most useful of bags.
This is an ideal class for beginner sewers but also those wanting to learn more about sewing with heavier fabrics like oilskin. Learn how to work with leather and metal hardware to create a professional finish. Please note all fabric, leather and metal hardware is included in the cost of this class.
We will cover the following:
- How to use a cardboard pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Working with heavier fabrics suitable for bag making.
- Tips and tricks for sewing and marking oilskin.
- Working with leather and metal hardware.
- Inserting a lining and turning through handles.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
What is included in your class:
- The Jack Tar pattern.
- Fabric and hardware of your choice.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric, leather and all metal hardware is included in the cost of this class. Dry oilskin and oilskin is ideal for this bag, but you can also use a cotton canvas or denim.
We recommend coming about 20mins early to give yourself time to pick out your fabric.
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.