Make the Jack Tar
Level – Advanced Beginner
This copious bucket bag has space for an almost infinite amount of stuff. Make it in traditional British oilskin, sturdy canvas, cotton drill or denim. Fully lined with 3 divided internal pockets. The most useful of bags.
This is an ideal class for sewers with a little bit of experience but also those wanting to learn more about sewing with heavier fabrics like oilskin. Learn how to work with leather and metal hardware to create a professional finish.
We will cover the following:
- How to use a cardboard pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Working with heavier fabrics suitable for bag making.
- Tips and tricks for sewing and marking oilskin.
- Working with leather and metal hardware.
- Inserting a lining and turning through handles.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
What is included in your class:
- The Jack Tar pattern.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop from time of booking until your class finishes.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric is not included in this class.
Dry oilskin and oilskin are ideal for this bag, but you can also use a cotton canvas or denim.
We strongly suggest that you choose a plain fabric as the pattern matching required for checks and stripes takes a long time to do and can impact on completing the projects within the time allocated.
FABRIC REQUIREMENTS AND HARDWARE - JACK TAR BAG
|Jack Tar Bag||Amount Needed|
|Self 80cm wide without nap||1.15M|
|Self 115 - 120cm wide without nap||0.90M|
|Self 140 - 150cm wide without nap||0.75M|
|Lining 80cm wide without nap||1.10M|
|Lining 102 - 120cm wide without nap||0.75M|
|Lining 136 - 150cm wide without nap||0.55M|
|Leather Strap 2.5cm (1")||0.70M|
|Rivets approx 9mm||4|
|D Rings 2.5cm (1")||2|
|Webbing for Handle (optional)||1.00M|
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.
10% discount can not be used for purchases of future classes.