Make a Dress Weekend – Level 1
This class is designed for those who want to start dressmaking with little or no experience, or simply want to take a weekend to themselves to do some sewing! We do ask that you have used a sewing machine before.
We will cover the following:
- How to follow a paper pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
- Measuring yourself and selecting the correct size.
- Tweaking fitting issues.
- Understanding dressmaking terminology.
- Suitable seam finishes for different fabrics.
You will have the option option of making one of these patterns:
- Top 64
The likelihood is that you will only get one dress made, but if you are speedy you are welcome to start work on another!
What is included in your class:
- 1 of the patterns listed above, any extra patterns are an additional cost.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric is not included in this class.
Ideally it is best to prewash your fabric before your class, as all fabric will shrink a little on the first wash. However if you go for our laundered linens these have already been pre washed.
If you want to select your fabric on the day of your course, please come approximately 20-30mins early to give you enough time to select something.
|120cm sleeveless/short/long||140 - 150cm sleeveless/short/long|
|120cm wide||140 - 150cm wide|
|120cm Dress/Top||140cm Dress/Top||150cm + Dress/Top|
OUT OF STOCK
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.