Make the Heroine Jeans
The Heroine jeans are fitted to the waist with a straight, generous leg and a healthy turn up. We find these jeans incredibly flattering and comfortable.
At the beginning of the class you’ll get to try on a calico toile to determine which size you should be going for. Then you we can determine if any fitting tweaks need to be made.
This is an intermediate class so we ask that you are a competent sewer with a fair amount of dressmaking under your belt. You don’t need to have made jeans before.
Skills you will take from this class:
- Learning about fit adjustments for trousers.
- Inserting a zip fly.
- Working with heavyweight denim.
- Accurate and confident top stitching.
What is included in your class:
- The Heroine Jeans pattern.
- Enough denim fabric for your size. Japanese Selvedge Denim and Organic Denim are at an additional cost.
- All relevant notions.
- Lunch on all 3 days.
- Machine thread.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
We recommend using 8 – 12.5oz non stretch denim.
Please give yourself enough time to buy your denim and get it pre washed in order to bring it to the class ready to begin.
A note about pre washing your denim:
Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash. You don’t need to use detergent if you don’t want to.
- Wet the fabric first before putting it into the drum.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help.
- Or if you have your pattern already you may be able to break it into smaller parts by looking at the lay plan – leave some wiggle room!
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
|Size 6||Size 8 - 12||Size 14 - 18|
|120cm wide without nap||2.15M||2.45M||2.65M|
|140cm wide without nap||1.50M||1.90M||2.40M|
|150cm wide without nap||1.45M||1.55M||2.05M|
|Pocket fabric 110-150cm wide||0.30M||0.30M||0.30M|