Make the Landgate
This jacket is made for the outdoors! Big pockets for dog walking, a large hood for windy coastal walks, and roomy to fit a cozy jumper underneath! It features a drawstring waist, side and front pockets and a funnel neck with zip fastening.
The Landgate requires a fair amount of top stitching and accuracy so we recommend you have completed some intermediate dressmaking projects first. This is also an ideal make to gift someone as a present.
The course fee includes fabric, we recommend using oilskin or dry oilskin, but you could also use a cotton canvas or denim.
Please note this is a unisex pattern.
We will cover the following:
- How to follow a paper pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
- Measuring yourself and selecting the correct size ( we will have samples to try on).
- Inserting a zip.
- Tweaking fitting issues.
- Working with heavier weight fabrics like oilskin or wool.
- Making buttonholes.
- Accurate and confident top stitching.
- Inserting a casing.
What is included in your class:
- Lunch on all 3 days.
- The Landgate pattern.
- Fabric and notions of your choice.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Please note we are offering a payment plan for this class. If you would like more information about this please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fabric and notions are included in your class fee. We recommend using oilskin or dry oilskin for your Landgate, but you could also use a cotton canvas or denim.
If you think at some point you would want to wash your Landgate, if you've made it from something other than oilskin, you'll need to pre wash your fabric ahead of time.
If you want to select your fabric on the day of your course, please come approximately 20-30mins early to give you enough time to select something.
You can view the fabric requirements on the pattern page here, then click the 'details' tab.
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.