Make the Box Box
Level – Intermediate
This is a new pattern which has not been released yet. The Box Box has a unique Japanese inspired pleated front with zig zag top stitching. It has a simple rouleaux closure at the back and a shift silhouette. You can either make the top or dress version.
These trousers work well in a variety of fabrics, once you have made one that fit you’ll want multiples!
Although this is a simple shape, the pleating and top stitching requires careful precision so we feel you should have a good level of sewing confidence to tackle this one.
We will cover the following:
- How to follow a paper pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
- Setting in sleeves.
- Measuring yourself and selecting the correct size.
- Pleating fabric and precise top stitching.
- Tweaking fitting issues.
- Understanding dressmaking terminology.
- Suitable seam finishes for different fabrics.
What is included in your class:
- Lunch on both days.
- Box Box pattern.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric is not included in this class. We recommend lightweight cottons like a poplin, the crisper the fabric the easier time you will have with the pleats and top stitching. Linen will also work well if it is not too soft and slubby.
Ideally it is best to prewash your fabric before your class, as all fabric will shrink a little on the first wash. However if you go for our laundered linens these have already been pre washed.
You will be sent the fabric requirements for the Box Box upon booking.
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.