Preview – Make the Florence
Level – Intermediate
This is a new pattern which has not been released yet. The Florence is a sweet swingy top with a button back detail and soft high low gathers. Perfect for summer with linen trousers or jeans and pumps.
To attend this class you have to have a good level of confidence with dressmaking, maybe completing some of our simpler designs like the Camber, Top 64 and Trapeze.
We will cover the following:
- How to follow a paper pattern, learning about the pattern markings and what they mean.
- Following a lay plan and cutting out your fabric correctly.
- Learning the art of pairing fabric and pattern.
- Setting in sleeves.
- Creating a button placket and making buttonholes.
- Measuring yourself and selecting the correct size.
- Creating even gathers.
- Tweaking fitting issues.
- Understanding dressmaking terminology.
- Suitable seam finishes for different fabrics.
What is included in your class:
- Lunch on both days.
- Florence pattern.
- Machine threads.
- A Bernina sewing machine and overlocker. We ask that you don’t bring your own sewing machine please.
- 10% discount in the Rye shop for the duration of your class.
- Plentiful supply of tea/coffee and small snacks.
- A Merchant & Mills notebook and pencil.
- All relevant Merchant & Mills tools and notions.
Fabric is not included in this class. We recommend lightweight cottons and linens, something with a gentle drape. If you choose something crisper it will have a more sculptural silhouette.
Ideally it is best to prewash your fabric before your class, as all fabric will shrink a little on the first wash. However if you go for our laundered linens these have already been pre washed.
You will be sent the fabric requirements for the Florence upon booking.
Our courses are non refundable unless we have a reserve list, and we can fill your space.
We reserve the right to cancel the class giving you a two weeks notice. You will receive a full refund if your class is cancelled.