10oz Deep Indigo Japanese Double Gauze30.00/metre
A 10oz Japanese double gauze, in a dark indigo blue. This would be suitable for many of our patterns, it would make a lovely Winter Fielder dress or Ottoline jacket.
Double gauze consists of two layers of cotton. They are attached together with tiny stab stitches at regular intervals, usually every centimetre, in a grid pattern, though this is barely visible. This cloth will most likely get lighter in colour with continual washing.
This denim is produced in Okayama, Japan, an area famous for its denim mills, indigo dye and its long history of denim weaving. It is made in a city with an abundance of natural spring water, which is used during the dyeing and processing and helps create a consistent and unique level of colour in their denim.
Sustainability and protecting the environment is very important to the mill, where they follows strict environmental standards for their use of water. Making sure that any water left over from their dye house is four times purified to drinking grade; ensuring it is safe for them to return to the river where the water irrigation systems are connected to the local vegetable fields and rice paddies, and later ending up in the Setonaikai sea. The factories are also run on 10% solar energy.
- 100% cotton.
- 10oz or 339gsm.
- 139cm wide.
- Country of origin; Japan.
- Wash at 30 degrees with a non bio detergent, on a low spin.
- See photo gallery for washed sample.
- As all computer monitors show colours differently, we recommend ordering a sample of the cloth to check it is the right colour and weight for your project. To do so click on the ‘buy’ tab and then ‘add sample to cart’.
- Fabric can be ordered in 10cm increments. The minimum order is half a metre. For example, if you want 2.8m’s this is what you type in the box.
- Thread match Gutermann Sew All 799.
We recommend pre washing your denim before sewing. Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash.
- Sink your denim in water before hand, letting it fully absorb, so you are putting in the denim already wet.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help.
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with non bio detergent on a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
When you have made the garment we would recommend washing it inside out.
- Please enter at least 0.5m
Sample shipping is free. (Royal Mail 1st class post)
Everything else is £4.95. (DPD courier 1 – 5 days).
We offer a free shipping option for orders over £75. (DPD courier)
Next day by noon orders £15. (DPD courier) Please note you must place your order by noon to receive by noon the next day. If you order on a Friday you will receive your order on Monday by noon. If you order on a Saturday or Sunday you will receive your order on Tuesday before noon.