5.9oz Organic Japanese Slub Denim£21.00/metre
A 5.9oz Japanese organic denim with a beautifully slubby texture. A very dark inky blue. This denim will continue to soften and lighten slightly upon continual washing.
This would be suitable for many of our patterns, it would make a great Trapeze, Rugby, Francine, or Mary White dress.
This denim is produced in Okayama, Japan, an area famous for its denim mills, indigo dye and its long history of denim weaving. It is made in a city with an abundance of natural spring water, which is used during the dyeing and processing and helps create a consistent and unique level of colour in their denim.
Sustainability and protecting the environment is very important to the mill, where they follow strict environmental standards for their use of water. Making sure that any water left over from their dye house is four times purified to drinking grade; ensuring it is safe for them to return to the river where the water irrigation systems are connected to the local vegetable fields and rice paddies, and later ending up in the Setonaikai sea. The factories are also run on 10% solar energy.
- 100% organic cotton.
- 5.9oz or 200gsm.
- 147cm wide.
- Country of origin; Japan.
- Wash at 30 degrees with a non bio detergent, on a low spin.
- See photo gallery for washed sample.
We recommend pre washing your denim before sewing. Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash.
- Sink your denim in water before hand, letting it fully absorb, so you are putting in the denim already wet.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help.
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with no bio detergent on a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
When you have made the garment we would recommend washing it inside out.