8.7oz Recycled Japanese Denim£23.00/metre
A 8.7oz recycled Japanese denim in a classic indigo blue.
This would be suitable for many of our patterns, it would make a great pair of our Harlene dungarees. This denim will continue to soften and lighten slightly upon continual washing.
This denim is produced in Okayama, Japan, an area famous for its denim mills, indigo dye and its long history of denim weaving. It is made in a city with an abundance of natural spring water, which is used during the dyeing and processing and helps create a consistent and unique level of colour in their denim.
Sustainability and protecting the environment is very important to the mill, where they follows strict environmental standards for their use of water. Making sure that any water left over from their dye house is four times purified to drinking grade; ensuring it is safe for them to return to the river where the water irrigation systems are connected to the local vegetable fields and rice paddies, and later ending up in the Setonaikai sea. The factories are also run on 10% solar energy.
- 151cm wide.
- 8.7oz or 295gsm.
- 35% recycled cotton, 65% cotton.
- Country of origin; Japan.
- Wash at 30 degrees with a non bio detergent, on a low spin.
- See photo gallery for washed sample.
- For colour accuracy we always recommend ordering a swatch – click the ‘buy’ tab and then ‘add sample to cart’.
- Fabric can be ordered in 10cm increments. The minimum order is half a metre. For example, if you want 2.8m’s this is what you type in the box.
- Thread match Gutermann Sew All 11.
We recommend pre washing your denim before sewing. Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash.
- Sink your denim in water before hand, letting it fully absorb, so you are putting in the denim already wet.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help.
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with non bio detergent on a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
When you have made the garment we would recommend washing it inside out.